30 Jul 2013

Bella

 ATeacherWrites.com
New Homework:
Use the handwriting sheets and videos to help you. Get the handwriting sheets here.
10 minutes every day.
Writing: What effects does the verse below create? What mood does it give? Pick out key words and quote them:

Till day rose; then under an orange sky 
The hills had new places, and wind wielded 
Blade-light, luminous black and emerald, 
Flexing like the lens of a mad eye.
e.g.
The word 'orange' makes it feel as if the sky is on fire.
e.g. 'black' gives a scary mood.
e.g. the simile 'like a mad eye' is scary as if a giant eyeball is staring at you in the storm.
e.g. the word 'blade' suggests a knife that could cut you, as if the wind is sharp or like a warrior that 'wielded' it.
QUOTE


TARGETS:
[1] Paragraphs
1. indent one inch (two fingers)
2. change paragraph for a new idea or topic
3. You can also use a paragraph break as a cliffhanger for a dramatic.
4. You can insert paragraphs //
Rough guide: one side A4 needs 3-4 paragraphs; half a side needs 2 paragraphs (roughly)
[2] Beware: capital C and S Mid-sentence
[3] If lots of things are happening in one sentence, check you have linked the ideas correctly: use full stops, commas or connectives. Use the example below to help you.

The crowd goes quiet. Dogs stop barking. Babies stop babbling. All is quiet.
I grabbed the cake, put it in my bag, squashed it and made it completely flat.
I went home, put my bag by the front door, said hello to my mum and squashed my sister.

This lists four actions. Because it is a list, it needs commas, just like a shopping list.
e.g.
I ate a pineapple, an ice cream, a chocolate doughnut and then I felt sick.

This is OK because it's a list that sets the scene.
The crowd goes quiet, dogs stop barking, babies stop babbling and all is quiet.

Don't use commas in the next example though. Here are four actions, each of which leads to the next. This is a story not a list.

My sister hit me on the head. I hit her back. My older sister joined in and hit us both on the head. Mum came in and was very cross.

You can also join this with connectives:

My sister hit me on the head [and/so/because] I hit her back [then/when/if] my older sister joined in and hit us both on the head. When mum came in, she was cross.


Homework due Thursday 1 August.
PART ONE
Look at the text below. 1. Can you find the alliteration?
2. Can you find the simile?
Till day rose; then under an orange sky 
The hills had new places, and wind wielded 
Blade-light, luminous black and emerald, 
Flexing like the lens of a mad eye. 

PART TWO
Write a short description of a place. Please write 150-200 words. On paper, this is equal to a half or two thirds of a side of A4.


What is a Simile?
A simile uses like or as.
For example:
He ran like a rocket and jumped up and down like a kangaroo. He looked at me like a puppy. He smelt like a horse's stable that hadn't been cleaned for a month. He looked at me like a hungry pig.
This gives one person or thing the qualities of another.

How would we write about this?
If the question is, what effect does the language create/how does the writer make you feel...?
[1] He has puppy eyes suggests he is helpless, lovable and cute.
[2] He looked at me like a hungry pig suggests we are in danger from a greedy slightly threatening animal.

What is Alliteration?
For example:
Susan the skater.
Horrid Henry, Moody Margaret, Aerobic Al, Perfect Peter.
Boisterous boys.
Forgotten frog.