4 Apr 2013

Six Punctuation Exercise: Full Stops and Capital Letters: Intermediate

Find our site here...
Yum! Fun Punctuation Exercises for Capital Letters and Full Stops. Get notes on how to do Apostrophes here. Get more basic sentence punctuation exercises here.
(1)
its hard to hide when your school uniform is dark orange blazers and bright orange ties john says no one will notice and standing next to him sometimes i think john is right johns fur coat makes him look like a big purple owl from a circus in leather trousers and goggles mostly i tell people john is famous though he isnt john is our dad though we dont admit it and his number one hobby is the end of the world and making sure that we survive
(2)
it was on a dreary night of november that i saw the result of my efforts with a fear that was almost agony i collected the tools around me so that i might put a spark of life into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet it was already one in the morning the rain pattered miserably against the windows and my candle was nearly burnt out when by the glimmer of the fading light i saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open it breathed hard and moved
(3)
there were a lot of faces staring at me excited because something horrible was about to happen it was a few moments before i realised that the horrible thing that was about to happen was about to happen to me and that i must have been drooling in my sleep
(4)
the tiny primary school seemed monstrous at the time the classroom was like a cavern littered with a shaken up nativity set joseph with his beard on his head was pretending to be a goat goat joseph chewed on the end of marys robe as she screamed laughed and tried to get him off by hitting him over the head with the plastic baby jesus
(5)
i dont notice school any more its like an alien space ship that smashed into a mansion spreading its tentacles to all corners of the grounds except the religious studies huts which are made of toughened cardboard with bars on the windows to stop children escaping
(6)
the support staff who showed up looked like a 1990s wrestling doll with orange skin and a bleached blonde mullet and i did not want to be dropkicked chokeslammed or brainbusted by a middle aged lady mrs addison smiled kindly at me and i felt guilty for the wrestler doll thoughts for a moment though everyone says it except chloe who says you shouldnt say things about people that you wouldnt say to their face

Answers (there are alternative ways to punctuate these)
(1)
It’s hard to hide when your school uniform is dark orange blazers and bright orange ties. John says no one will notice, and standing next to him, sometimes I think he’s right. John’s fur coat makes him look like a big purple owl from a circus, in leather trousers and goggles. Mostly I tell people John is famous, though he isn’t. John is our dad, though we don’t admit it and his number one hobby is the end of the world and making sure that we survive.

(2)
It was on a dreary night of November that I saw the result of my efforts. With a fear that was almost agony, I collected the tools around me so that I might put a spark of life into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered miserably against the windows, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the fading light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and moved.
(3)
There were a lot of faces staring at me, excited because something horrible was about to happen. It was a few moments before I realised that the horrible thing that was about to happen was about to happen to me, and that I must have been drooling in my sleep.
(4)
The tiny primary school seemed monstrous at the time; the classroom was like a cavern littered with a shaken up nativity set. Joseph, with his beard on his head, was pretending to be a goat. Goat Joseph chewed on the end of Mary’s robe as she screamed, laughed and tried to get him off by hitting him over the head with the plastic baby Jesus.
(5)
I don’t notice school any more. It’s like an alien space ship that smashed into a mansion, spreading its tentacles to all corners of the grounds, except the Religious Studies huts which are made of toughened cardboard with bars on the windows to stop children escaping.
(6)
The support staff who showed up looked like a 1990s wrestling doll with orange skin and a bleached blonde mullet and I did not want to be dropkicked, chokeslammed, or brainbusted by a middle-aged lady. Mrs Addison smiled kindly at me and I felt guilty for the wrestler doll thoughts for a moment, though everyone says it, except Chloe who says you shouldn’t say things about people that you wouldn’t say to their face.