6 Mar 2013

Maths Help for 4-6 Year Olds

Find us on our new web address here: all FREE, no ads: please 'like' or share
Problem
1. My daughter kept writing her numbers backwards, e.g. 2, 5, 6, 9. She also got double-figure numbers backwards, e.g. 31 > written '13' (with the 3 backwards just for good measure).

2. She couldn't count from 20 -100. She forgot some or mixed them up. Also, she couldn't understand the relationship between 2, 12, 22, 32, 42, 52, 62 etc. Or 29 to 30, 39 to 40 and 49 to 50 (etc).

Solution
I made a number grid. She loved watching me write it out (bizarrely).
Now, she likes to count using the grid. Sometimes, she copies some of the numbers into an exercise book (yes, seriously). When she's done, I give her a sticker and she loves it.

Don't do this on a scrap of paper! I wrote this into a Maths textbook I'm using with my sons.

I had no idea how much she'd enjoy this because to me it looks dull as dishwater.